So almost done with week 5. Getting into a pretty good groove. It goes like this...
Monday - off.
Tues - pool in the morning, run in the afternoon.
Wens - Bike/run brick
Thurs - pool in the morning bike in the afternoon.
Fri - run
Sat - long ride
Sun - long run.
This pattern will repeat over and over until the race. I just add time and intensity to the workouts. Still feeling fairly good right now. The biggest problem is squeezing in my workouts between work requirements and kids duty. ( Yes, I actually do work from time to time).
Right now it is all zone 2 stuff (easy, base building miles). The second 10 weeks is when I start to add more intensity. I am anxious to start that. It is kind of a grind to have to keep my HR below a certain number all of the time. I look forward to "stretching it out" some more.
Another challenge is that my wife fell and broke her foot. That means that she is spending more time sitting with her foot up and I am doing more things around the house and with the kids. Like I needed one more thing to distract from training;)
I actually do really well in the morning and afternoon, but the evening hours are hard for me. On occasion I have to run/ride in the evening once the kids are in bed and that is a real drain. That is when I want to settle down, watch some TV and unwind. It takes a lot of self discipline to do those workouts.
I am icing my feet/heels right now because I seem to have developed some plantar fascitis. It stems from the achilles tendon area being too tight. At times it is hard to even walk after I have been sitting for a while. So I ice my feet ever night, especially when I run that day. I have to stretch quite often, nightly and several times a day. I can handle some discomfort walking around...I just hope that I can continue to run if I baby my feet. I still have a long way to go.
I am not down to my goal weight yet, but pretty close. I am at roughly the same weight as when I ran the full marathon last year.
Just over 25 weeks to go! Thanks for reading.

What is "run brick"? Surely you don't actually run with bricks...??
ReplyDeleteA brick workout is a combined workout with 2 different sports. A bike/run brick is the most common. Do your allotted time on the bike, jump off, change shoes and then start running for your allotted run time. Gets your legs used to running after riding. They can be pretty intense. You know how hard it is to run, imagine running right after riding 20 miles (or more).
ReplyDelete